- Honestly I had no idea how great bananas are. I knew they were good for you but didn't know the specifics. Check it out below. Stay tuned for some banana recipes.
- Reducing Depression
- Bananas contain tryptophan, an aminoacid that can be converted to serotonin, leading to improved mood
- Bananas are relatively high in iron, which helps the body's hemoglobin function
- Constipation and Diarrhea
- Due to their content in fiber, they help restore a normal bowel function. In addition, diarrhea usually depletes your body of important electrolytes (of which the most important is potassium, contained in high amounts in bananas). They also contain pectin, a soluble fiber (hydrocolloid) that can help normalize movement through the digestive tract.
- Eyesight Protection
- Research published in the Archives of Ophthalmology has proven that adults consuming at least 3 servings of fruit per day have a reduced risk (by 36%) of developing age-related macular degeneration (ARMD), the primary cause of vision loss in older adults, compared to persons who consume less than 1.5 servings of fruit daily.
- Healthy Bones
- Bananas are an exceptionally rich source of fructooligosaccharide, a compound that nourishes probiotic (friendly) bacteria in the colon. These beneficial bacteria produce enzymes that increase our digestive ability and protect us from unhealthy bacteria infections. Thanks to fructooligosaccharides, probiotic bacteria can increase both in number and functionality, increasing our body's ability to absorb calcium. In addition, green bananas contain indigestible short chain fatty acids (SCFAs) that are very nutrient to the cells that make up the mucosa of the stomach. These cells, when healthy, absorb calcium much more efficiently
- Healthy Kidney
- About 190,000 cases of kidney cancer are diagnosed each year. Research published in the International Journal of Cancer has shown that daily consumption of whole fruits and vegetables, especially bananas, is highly protective to kidney health. The results show that, over a long timeframe (13.4 years), women eating more than 2.5 servings of fruits and vegetable per day cut their risk of kidney cancer by 40%. Among the fruits, bananas were especially protective. Women eating bananas four to six times a week halved their risk of developing the disease compared to those who did not eat this fruit. The conclusion of the study is that frequent consumption of fruits and vegetables, especially bananas, cabbage and root vegetables, may reduce risk of kidney cancer. This is because bananas and many root vegetables contain especially high amounts of antioxidant phenolic compounds, while cabbage is rich in sulfur, necessary for effective detoxification of potential carcinogens.
- Blood Pressure
- Bananas are extremely high in potassium (about 4673mg), yet very low in sodium (1mg), thus having a perfect ratio for preventing high blood pressure. So much so, the US Food and Drug Administration has just allowed the banana industry to make official claims for the fruit's ability to reduce the risk of blood pressure and stroke.
- Bananas have a natural antacid effect in the body, so if you suffer from heartburn, try eating a banana for soothing relief.
- Morning Sickness
- Snacking on bananas between meals helps to keep blood-sugar levels up and avoid morning sickness.
- Bananas can also help people trying to give up smoking. They contain vitamins B6 and B12 they contain, as well as potassium and magnesium: these substances help the body recover from the effects of nicotine withdrawal.
- This is the only raw fruit that can be eaten without distress in over-chronicle cases. It also helps reduce acidity and reduces irritation. Bananas stimulate the cells on the internal stomach lining to produce a thicker mucus (which protects against acid). Additionally, bananas contain protease inhibitors that help eliminate bacteria in the stomach that have been pinpointed as a primary cause of ulcers.
- Bananas are high in B vitamins that have been shows to improve nerve function
- Mosquito Bites
- Many people report that rubbing the inside of a banana peel on a mosquito bite is very effective in reducing itching and swelling
- Stress Relief
- Bananas are high in potassium, which helps normalize the hearthbeat and regulate the body's water balance. During periods of high stress, our body's potassium levels tend to be rapidly depleted: eating bananas is a healthy way to rebalance them without using drugs
- Stroke Risk
- According to a study in The New England Journal of Medicine, eating bananas as part of a regular diet can reduce the risk of death by strokes by as much as 40%
Sunday, February 27, 2011
Thursday, February 17, 2011
CROCK POT CHICKEN TACOS
What you'll need:
Four chicken breasts
2 cans rotel or diced tomatoes with green chiles
1 cup chicken broth
Taco seasoning (we use 2)
Put in drained cans of Rotel. Add chicken breasts. Add chicken broth, just enough to cover bottom of crockery. Add taco seasoning. Cook on high for 4 hours or until chicken is supa dupa tender. Remove chick and shred. Add back to crock and cook on low for another hour.
Once you made your soft tacos, I like to add guacamole, salsa, and Romano cheese.
Oh EASY, ur so fine, so so EASY, blow my mind........................
Sunday, February 6, 2011
Ingredients (you will need a crock pot)
1 onion chopped
2 cans chili beans (16 oz)
2 cans black beans (15 oz)
2 cans whole kernel corn, drained
2 cans tomato sauce (8 oz)
1 can bottle of beer
4 cans Rotel
2 packages taco seasoning
2 lbs chicken breast
crushed tortilla chips (you have to crush them)
- Place the onion, chili beans, black beans, corn, tomato sauce, beer, and diced tomatoes in a slow cooker. Add taco seasoning, and stir to blend. Lay chicken breasts on top of the mixture, pressing down slightly until just covered by the other ingredients. Set slow cooker for low heat, cover, and cook for 5 hours.
- Remove chicken breasts from the soup, and allow to cool long enough to be handled. Stir the shredded chicken back into the soup, and continue cooking for 2 hours. Serve topped with shredded Cheddar cheese, a dollop of sour cream, and crushed tortilla chips, if desired.
Your man/woman/partner/friend/acquaintance/cousin/mom/dad have been working hard all day... the thing to do is to make this soup!!!!!!!!!!
Be a HERO